Welcome to

Dresden

Plan a trip to Dresden

Altstadt

Dresden’s Altstadt is the center of city life. The City Hall, Saxon State Parliament and many important cultural institutions are scattered across this dynamic and culturally rich area. 

After extensive bombing in WWII, the Altstadt has since been rebuilt and offers a unique view into urban development.

Frauenkirche

The Church of our Lady, or Frauenkirche was built in the 18th century and almost completely destroyed during the bombing of Dresden in 1945 during WWII. 

It remained as a war memorial for 50 years, until reconstruction was completed in 2005. Today the Frauenkirche supports one of the largest domes in Europe.

Zwinger Old Masters

The Zwinger Old Masters Gallery houses over 750 significant paintings from the 15th - 18th centuries. You will see Renaissance and Baroque, and Flemish and Dutch masterpieces by the likes of Raphael, Titian, Rembrandt, Van Dyck and Vermeer as well as the world’s largest collection of Cranach paintings. 

The Grosser Garden park covers a total area of 147 hectares, offering a secluded retreat from the busyness of the complex.

Dresden Christmas Markets

Dresden is home to Germany's oldest, and arguably most beautiful Christmas Market. The entire city is a wild array of lights, carols, and festivities. 

You can stroll the lively streets while drinking local mulled wine, tasting the seasonal delicacies and enjoying the festive atmosphere through eleven different Christmas Markets.

The Albertinum

The Albertinum exhibits over 200 years of paintings and sculptures from Romanticism to present, and houses the Royal Collection of Antique and Modern Sculptures.

The building is located in Dresden's historic center, along the Bruhl's Terrace and was named after King Albert of Saxony.

Procession of the Princes

The Procession of the Princes is a 335 feet long mural made up using 23,000 Meissen Porcelain tiles. The mural depicts 35 Saxon margraves, electors, dukes, and kings who ruled from the 12th - 20th centuries.

The original mural was painted in the 1500's, after many years of weathering it was replaced with a new painting in 1870 and in 1906 the painting was replaced with the porcelain tiles we see today. The pigmented tiles are able to withstand the elements for a longer period of time, making the mural easier to maintain.

The Semperoper Opera House

The Semperoper Opera House is home to the Saxon State Opera and the Semperoper Ballet. The building was completed in 1841 and is considered to be a prime example of the “Dresden Baroque” architectural style.

Having suffered severe damage from bombings, floods, and fires; the Semperoper has undergone numerous renovations and was completely reconstructed in 1985.